Hope I’m not slipping into bad habits here, today I ate at the famous Neptunes Net in malibu, CA. Best known for their fresh seafood and eclectic atmosphere stuffing the guts of bikers and doctors alike. I had to be careful, shellfish! As much as I wanted to get a “Plate of Gout” of steamed clams, shrimp and crab (waaah!), I went for a safer route and chowed down on the fish & chips (yeah, I know fried food.. a no no too). Although I did manage to sneak a shrimp from my buddy… Just had the one, I promise! Next few days will be light on the Gout inducing grinds.
Uric Acid (yuck) is the final product of purine metabolism in us “humanoids”. The condition of hyperuricemia is a high level of uric acid in the blood. Approximately 2/3 of total body “urate” is produced endogenously, while 70% of the urate produced daily is excreted by the kidneys, the rest is eliminated by the intestines (that would be #1 and #2 ;)). While this may indicate an increased risk of Gout, many patients with hyperuricemia do NOT develop gout, while other poor saps patients with repeated gout attacks have normal or low blood uric acid levels. Sure, more things that don’t make sense!
Ever thought about just replacing your old Gout joint with a “bionic” new joint? I’m sure you have! Well, my friend Pip passed this along to me, don’t think its an option right now unless your joint is totaly destroyed but we can dream….. 😉
Lets hope my Gout don’t get aggravated like last time! Foot felt good today, missed playing as I have not in a loooooooong time. Not that I’m any good mind you, kinda suck actually …but it was fun!! 😀
So you just can’t take it anymore and decide to go to the ER or see your Doctor. Don’t even think about that hacksaw in your garage, put it down! Here is what the good ole Doc may prescribe…
- Colchicine (tiny white tablets) is an anti-inflammatory medication used to prevent and ease current gout attacks. (harsh on your guts though)
- Steroid or Cortisone shot injected to the joint with a big ass needle! (yeah it hurts, but your pain is soooo bad you won’t mind and it works fast, I had it done in the ER!)
- Allopurinol is a medication used to treat chronic gout. Does not relieve pain or inflammation. Takes a about month for it to work, its preventative medicine (side effects are arguably bad, another contradiction I say).
- Anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen (Advil) in prescription dosage.
- Take it easy, rest the foot/area and keep it elevated. Cold packs help with pain.
- Some Doc’s do give good advice on home remidies as mentioned here at ihatemygout.com in conjunction with modern medicine!
Its funny how things end up on the “good” AND “bad” list at the same time, maybe the “experts” out there just can’t figure these items out. Well, do they or don’t they!?
- Caffeine, Vitamin C, high purine vegetables that don’t cause Gout(??), Wheat (whole grains??), White Breads (white flour for that matter), and red wine.
– strange… 😉
We know how harsh the prescribed drugs are to treat gout, so here is a list of natural treatments for your Gout. Most can be found at your local market, a health food store or your local Herbalist.
- Black Cherries, blueberries, and dark colored fruit. they are an anti inflammatory and do help!
- Apple Cider Vinegar (organic) & Baking Soda in a glass, drink it!! Tastes wicked, but drink it, it works!! – glass of water, 3 teaspoons of APC and 2 tablespoons of baking soda, mix it and drink TWICE DAILY.
- Celery Seed or Celery Seed extract: boil the celery seeds and drink as a tea, or take the pill.
- Burdock Root Tea – drink as a tea, not bad actually.
- Black Cherry Extract – in a pill form if you can’t find black cherries at the market.
- zhang zong xia jong feng wan: Its a mixture of herbs, the Chinese herbalist in town gave me this, she said, “it for Gout“. I was having a mean attack and nothing was working and was desperate, cost me $30 for the bottle. Truthfully I didn’t expect much, but bottom line it knocked out 80% of my Gout by the next day!!! – 4 pills, 4 times a day during an attack. 4 – 6 pills daily to prevent Gout. Works so far…. fingers crossed, knock on wood…